A DIY "Mommy and Me Dolman Top" Fall Blog Sewing Tutorial
Hello friends! I am so excited to share with you a quick and easy project today. The seasons are once again changing, and it is time to start sewing for fall! I love the cool crisp air of fall, and one of my favorite comfortable things to wear is a dolman top. The pattern I have chosen is a free pattern that comes in women’s and girls’ sizes. I was excited to get to sew this project up for my daughter and myself.
The pattern I will be showing you today has a beautiful hemline, fitted sleeves, and a loose body with beautiful shape. Have you ever struggled with a curved hemline? Well, follow along in my video and get my tips and tricks for how to easily finish a curved hem, using just your sewing machine.
The fabric I chose for my project is DTY double-sided brushed polyester. I love working with this fabric because it is a stable fabric and has better recovery than traditional double brushed polyester due to its higher spandex content. It also is incredibly soft and warm. It is not overly thick or heavy to wear, so it is perfect to make long sleeved tees for cooler weather. I love the vast selection of colors that Fabric Wholesale Direct keeps in stock too!
- Fabric: You will need 2 yards of DTY Double-sided Brushed Polyester for one women’s top. If you are doing a women’s top and girls’ top, you will need 3 yards. I chose the dusty rose color. The fabric is available in solids and prints.
- Pattern: the Striped Swallow Cloud 9 Tee. The pattern is available for Women here and for girls here. You can get the pattern for FREE if you join Striped Swallow’s Facebook group here. The coupon code to get the pattern for free is in the Announcement section of that group.
- Coordinating thread
- Measuring tape
- Sewing machine (optional: serger)
- Double needle
- Iron for pressing
- Clips or pins
- Marking tool
- scissors (optional: rotary cutter and self healing mat)
Let’s Get Started!
- Select your size in the pattern based on your bust measurement.
- After selecting your size, print, tape, and cut out your pattern pieces. You will have three pattern pieces: your front, back, and sleeves.
- Now, you can watch me sew the pattern! I demonstrate each step of the way!
- You are finished! Thanks for sewing with me today. I hope you enjoy the cooler weather of fall!
This tutorial was created by Sharon Aguilar from the Sweet Mama Life.